Using Herbal Flavors to Support the Body with Kris Vaughan
Did you know that there are medicinal properties in many of the spices you have in your kitchen?
For thousands of years, different cultures have used herbal flavors to stimulate different organs and systems in the body.
For example, sour or bitter flavors are used to increase digestive juices in your body so you break down your food fully. This is why many cultures eat fermented foods right before their meals.
Herbal flavors are an easy way to learn how to utilize herbs for different symptoms you may be experiencing. Instead of learning about every single use case of every herb, you only have to remember their flavor!
Are the Herbal Flavors Different Than What Our Tongue Tastes?
There actually are differences in the herbal flavors and the taste of the herb itself.
What we taste on our tongue is dependent upon our taste buds and our preferences. For instance, what is sweet to one person might not be that sweet to someone else.
Herbal flavors aren't too much different, the fact is that most of us have lost touch with how things are supposed to taste. We are so accustomed to the taste of processed foods, that we have forgotten the real taste of plants.
But there are some subtle differences. Some herbs might be considered sweet, but taste bitter. The more you use herbs though, the better your taste buds are at differentiating the tastes.
Here are the 5 herbal flavors found in Western Herbalism:
What to Expect From This Episode
Kris Vaughan is a Certified Clinical Herbalist and owner and program director of Herbal Wisdom Institute.
In this episode, you will learn:
» How far back does herbalism go
» What is the idea behind the flavors of herbs
» Can you use herbal flavors to help with chronic conditions
» How to source herbs and get the best quality you can find
- [2:45] Why did Kris Vaughan get interested in learning about herbalism
- [5:15] Kris used Aloe Vera, Marshmallow Root, and probiotics to help her daughter who was sick
- [6:15] Are there a bunch of side effects for the herbs Kris used to heal her daughter
- [7:45] How far back did herbalism begin
- [11:15] Is it better for people to use local herbs, or herbs from all over the world
- [13:30] How do flavors differ across herbalism and what do flavors tell you about the body
- [23:45] Some products use only a couple herbs, while other products use every herb ever known. Is one option better than the other
- [26:45] What are constitutions of the body
- [31:30] Can herbs be used with chronic conditions such as IBD or autoimmune conditions
- [34:45] Herbs can be really helpful, but you must also focus on lifestyle and healthy eating
- [37:30] What are the best and easiest ways to take herbs and to make sure people get them in daily
- [43:30] Does sourcing matter for the herbs that should be used in medicinal ways
- [48:30] Learn about Kris's morning routine on how she gets centered and grounded for the day
Learn More About Kris Vaughan
Website: Herbal Wisdom Institute