Alternatives to Surgery for Orthopedic Injuries with Dr Jum Funk
In the US, orthopedic ailments are the most common reason that people go to a medical professional. In fact, it is about 1 in 7 people have some sort of orthopedic complaint.
Many of these conditions are treated with medication or surgery, while chiropractic or physical therapy may also be an option.
If medication or therapy does not work, then usually the next step is to see the surgeon.
However, there are alternative methods that can be a better option before going under the knife. This methods are called Regenerative Injection Therapy.
What Is Regenerative Injection Therapy
Regenerative Injection Therapies are methods used to inject certain solutions into the problem area to stimulate the body's natural healing mechanisms.
These injections include:
- Perineural Injection Therapy (PIT)
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
- Stem Cells
You probably have heard about some of these options before, so let's break down what each one of them are used for:
Perineural Injection Therapy
Perineural Injection Therapy is used to treat inflamed or injured nerves. This in many cases is used as one of the first steps in regenerative injection therapy because it is low risk and costs a lot less.
Perineural injections help to calm the nerves down so that the practitioner can see the underlying cause of the pain. For some people, this is all they need, while others might have to go to the next type of injection.
Prolotherapy is used to stimulate the body into healing a certain area of the body.
To use Prolotherapy, it is injected directly where the pain is located. It consists of an irritant that tricks the body into repairing the tissues. This can be really great for tendons or ligaments.
When it comes to Prolotherapy side effects, there is minimal risk. Sometimes you receive swelling in the area, and it can feel worse before it gets better.
Platelet-Rich Plasm (PRP)
PRP injections use the platelets found in blood to stimulate healing.
Platelets have a protein called growth factor which are used in the healing of injuries. PRP injections concentrate the growth factors usually 5-10x more than what is found in normal blood.
PRP injection side effects again are pretty minimal. Usually if there is any side effect, it is swelling in the region the injection took place.
Stem Cells are the top of the line when it comes to regenerative injection therapies.
It uses your own stem cells to remove damaged cells in the painful region and create new healthy cells. Stem cells are the foundation for every single cell in the body, therefore it is needed for the creation of healthy cells.
The side effects for stem cell injections varies based on the uses of the stem cells. Since stem cells can be used for orthopedic ailments, bone marrow transplants, and even organ transplants, the side effects can be drastically different.
What to Expect From This Episode
Dr. Jum Funk specializes in the use of Regenerative Injection Therapies, and uses all 4 of these therapies in her practice.
In this episode, you will learn:
» How regenerative injection therapy is used for different ailments
» When to chose one injection over another
» How to measure results and success rate
» Can these treatments even be used for ailments such as arthritis
- [3:00] What got Dr Jum Funk interested in Regenerative Injection Therapy
- [6:10] When it comes to health conditions, what conditions is regenerative injection therapy good and not good for
- [7:30] Regenerative Injection Therapy should be one of the first options for recovery before we look into surgical procedures
- [9:00] What are the differences between the different injection therapies that are available
- [9:30] Perineural injections helps for the superficial nerves
- [11:00] Once the perineural injections reduces pain, then she goes more towards prolotherapy
- [11:40] If prolotherapy isn't working, then Dr Jum Funk will switch over to either PRP or Stem Cell
- [14:45] With PIT therapy, patients can feel a change pretty quickly. PRP or stem cell can take much longer to notice a difference
- [19:00] What does the actually process of extracting stem cells feel like
- [21:00] Do you rely on the body to create the correct tissues for the area you are working on, and hoping it doesn't create tissues that aren't helpful to the body
- [24:00] It is currently believed there are no side effects for regenerative injection therapy, is this what you have found as well
- [26:15] If someone has autoimmunity and you inject stem cells into their body, will their body attack those stem cells
- [28:30] What is considered to be a “success” for regenerative injection therapies
- [33:00] Patients will have a different scale of success because if you reduce their pain, usually they are happy
- [36:00] If these therapies are used before going to a chiropractor or physical therapy, it can help reduce the inflammation so the therapists can help your body even more
- [37:30] Does insurance cover the costs of regenerative injection therapies, or is it cash only
- [43:00] You can spend $700 on a new phone that lasts maybe 2 years, or use that money to remove your pain for a couple decades
» Learn More about the Healing Miracle Stem Cell Docuseries
Learn More About Dr. Jum Funk
Website: Funk Regenerative Med Clinic
Social Media: Facebook