You may have noticed that we have quite a few episodes that are focused on children and ways to improve their health. In fact, it saddens me that there are so many children out there who are suffering from conditions with little understanding of why it is happening. This is why we keeping bringing up the topic about ways to make children healthy again.
I focus on children a lot because they aren't in the best position to know what's best for themselves. They go off of what they have been taught, so it is important as adults that we stay up to date with why each generation is getting sicker.
A common theme that you may have heard between episodes is that the food we are eating is not the best for children, or even adults. Processed foods are stripped of nutrients, sanitized in ways we don't want to know about, and are designed to make us snack more often.
The big debate for quite some time is not necessarily about the richness of nutrients in processed foods, but more about the way these crops are grown. There are so many different types of crops now (organic, pesticides used, GMO, etc) how are we supposed to know what is healthy?
Does It Matter if the Crops are GMO or Organic?
This is the debate of the century. If you walked down the streets, everyone seems to have their opinion on what is best.
Some say organic crops cost too much to grow and are too fragile to pests. Others say that GMO crops provide a much higher yield and is more beneficial to farmers.
So what is the truth? What types of crops should we be using, and does it really make a difference?
In this episode, I talk with Dr. Michelle Perro and Vincanne Adams, PhD about the quality of food in our food system, and what the research is saying about GMO crops versus organic crops.
»What is a GMO crop and how is it different than other crops
»How pesticides can be a big influence on disease
»What are the controversies behind GMO foods
»Ways parents can get their kids to make healthier informed choices
Save 25% off your first order with Thrive Market HERE!
Enjoy natural energy from Ayurvedic Herbs with HANAH HERE!
- [2:45] What got Vincanne interested in Anthropology
- [4:30] What led Michelle to become a Pediatrician and made her want to pursue writing this book
- [7:45] Is the increase in disease and rare diseases in children coming from the foods we are eating
- [9:30] What are some of the conditions that have been becoming more common among the newest generations
- [11:30] Michelle do you believe that the increases in these conditions stem from either the food we eat or the environment we live in
- [12:45] What are GMO foods and how are they supposed to be “beneficial” to us
- [21:00] What are the testing procedures to see if these genetic modifications are still within the food at time of consumption
- [23:15] Is there a difference in overall yield of crops between GMO crops and organically raised crops
- [28:15] The genetic modifications of food does more damage to the environment and soil which leads to less yield of crops
- [30:45] What is your response to critics who think the idea of GMO foods being harmful is fake news
- [37:15] Does glyphosate block the uptake of minerals into the body
- [38:30] What are some strategies families can take to improve the health of the children and family
- [44:30] It can be very tricky to get kids to change their diets, so how do parents transition their kids to better foods
Learn More About Vincanne Adams and Michelle Perro