Holistic Approach to Heart Disease with Jack Wolfson
As the number 1 leading cause of death in America, heart disease is a problem that we've had a hard time fixing. For most cardiologists, they spend their time throwing pills at patients, or opening them up to fix the issue.
For years we have been told that saturated fat is evil, and that cholesterol will kill us all. While everyone has been eating low-fat, sugar intake has increased dramatically, and heart disease has also risen.
So maybe the problem isn't the cholesterol-rich foods we used to eat, but instead are other issues with our food system and out stress levels.
Why It Is Important to Look At What Our Ancestors Ate to Reduce Heart Disease
In the past, heart disease wasn't a known issue. It has only been recently that these issues have skyrocketed, which means we need to look at what has changed.
We know that the foods our ancestors ate were packed full of nutrients compared to the foods we now eat. The animals fed on natural vegetation, and the plants we ate came from soil rich with nutrients.
Now, we can breed a cow from calf to table in less than 2 years, our plants come from nutrient-depleted soils, and we are forced to work our tails off to try and survive in this world.
All of that is recipe for disaster.
Dr. Jack Wolfson is known as the Paleo Cardiologist, and he spends his time looking for the root causes to disease instead of putting bandaids on the issue. You won't see any statin drugs in his clinic, for he relies on falling back onto the roots of our ancestors to reverse heart disease.
In this episode, Jack Wolfson and I discuss:
»What are the differences between regular cardiology and his practice
»How cholesterol is not the enemy within the body
»Why we should rely on high quality foods in our diet
»If statins are necessary to reversing heart disease
Save 25% off your first order with Thrive Market HERE!
Enjoy natural energy from Ayurvedic Herbs with HANAH HERE!
Download Our App To Access All Our Free Content!
- [2:20] What got you interested in cardiology in the first place
- [3:30] Did your father practice traditional cardiology or did he look at holistic approaches
- [4:30] What was it like to jump off the cardiology train and start looking for root causes
- [6:15] Traditional cardiology relies heavily on low fat diets and medications, but this approach isn't working
- [8:45] The foods to eat should be high quality such as grassfed and pasture-raised
- [10:00] Why are the organ meats so important to eat
- [11:30] Is it bad to eat cholesterol, and is cholesterol important to the body
- [13:45] How can we determine the right cholesterol number for each individual
- [14:45] Is there any specific ratios of HDL and LDL you want to be looking for
- [16:30] Why do most cardiologists want to put you on statins?
- [17:30] Can the cholesterol numbers become too low
- [18:45] What percentage does the statin actually lower your chance of heart disease
- [20:30] How does stress impact the rates for heart disease
- [22:15] Tell us about your top 5 foods or supplements you like to put most people on
- [24:00] How does probiotics help with heart disease
- [25:00] Any preferences between soil-based probiotics or fermented probiotics
- [28:00] Beet greens are packed full of potassium which is very important for heart health
- [28:45] What is your morning routine to prevent heart disease
- [29:30] If you could only take 1 food or supplement for the rest of your life, what would it be
Learn More About Jack Wolfson
Book: The Paleo Cardiologist , use coupon code SUMMIT for half off