I was a picky eater growing up, and to be honest I never tried biscuits and gravy until I was about 19. Once I finally tried it, it was obvious why this was a popular breakfast option. With the rich buttery biscuits and the savory flavor of the gravy, it is a meal that is hard to mess up. Lucky for me, I only just delved into the world of B&G at such a late stage because it probably would have made it much more difficult to switch over to Paleo Biscuits and Gravy.
One of the nice things about Paleo Biscuits and Gravy is that it is very easy to make large batches so you have breakfast all week long. One batch of this recipe holds me over for at least 3 days. This recipe is perfect for providing you with lots of good fuel to be able to focus and concentrate during the rest of your day.
About the Ingredients in Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
Arrowroot powder aids in digestive health, especially in reducing constipation or diarrhea. It also helps in fighting foodborne pathogens, which is great since we are having it with food! Arrowroot powder is used in cooking as a thickening agent, providing a healthier option than cornstarch.
Butter, Ghee, or Coconut Oil are all high quality fats that are used for maximum fuel throughout the day. If you have a dairy sensitivity, Ghee and Coconut Oil are excellent options as a substitute.
Sage has been used to treat skin problems for a long time. It is also used in treatments for hair loss because it helps to stimulate hair growth. Sage is also great as a treatment for sore throats.
Directions For Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
To start off, I chose to work on making the biscuits first before the gravy. Since the biscuits are only 5 ingredients, I just combine it all in my Ninja Food Processor and mix it together real quick.
Once the dough is mixed together, I line a baking sheet with a Silicone Baking Mat. I then use a cookie scooper and scoop up the dough. I shape the dough into little flat balls that have the shape of biscuits. *Note- these biscuits do not rise like traditional biscuits, so the size of the balls you make will be very close to the final size.*
Then I throw them into the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Once these are done, set them aside while you make the gravy. (I usually start the gravy while the biscuits are in the oven!)
To start with the gravy, heat your pan on the stove. Add in the sausage, and let it start to brown. Once it browns, remove the meat from the pan, leaving the grease and bits still in the pan.
Then you start to add in the arrowroot powder, and coconut milk. This will help to pull off the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Once all the coconut milk is added, throw in all the spices to help increase flavor while masking the coconut taste.
Then add in the sausage to reheat it. Cut your biscuits in half, and pour your gravy over the top. You are now ready to eat your biscuits and gravy!
Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using your food processor, mix all the ingredients together.
- Scoop the dough onto the baking sheet using a cookie scoop. Form into rounded shapes and slightly flatten the top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden on top.
Paleo Sausage Gravy
- Heat up your skillet on medium-high heat. Brown the sausage in the skillet. You can break up the sausage into whatever size pieces you prefer.
- Remove the sausage from the pan, and set aside. Leave most of the fat in the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and add in the arrowroot powder. Stir the powder into the fat and the brown bits that are on the bottom of the pan. The consistency will become thick.
- Add the coconut milk in, about a 1/4 can at a time. Mix it around and try to pull up the brown bits from the bottom. Keep adding the coconut milk in until you have used it all.
- Add in the herbs and spices, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the sausage back into the pan. Cook for another minute to heat everything back up.
- Slice the biscuits in half, and pour the gravy over the top. Now you can enjoy a nice gluten-free biscuits and gravy meal!