Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
If you're looking for an easy meal with a spicy kick, look no further than our Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup! With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, a lot of us have our heads in the clouds, eager for the excuse to eat extra Hispanic food and drink more tequila than normal this weekend.
Just remember Cinco de Mayo is NOT a traditional Mexican holiday, so don't be surprised if your Hispanic friends roll their eyes a little at you.
All of my friends know I'm addicted to Mexican food already and have a ton of respect for traditions and culture. So I just use the “holiday” as an excuse to indulge more freely and make fun recipes.
I'm sure they would have no qualms against this meal though! The great news is, this soup is SO simple. You can sit back and drink your homemade margarita without even feeling the pressure of “cooking” since your instant pot does all of the hard work for you! The perfect recipe for a lazy night in or even to bring to a party.
Depending on any dietary restrictions you may have, you can add the following toppings to your delicious, hot soup! Sliced avocado, green onions, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheese. This soup definitely brings the heat so I would give it a taste test before adding salsa!
About the Ingredients
Cumin has a ton of different health benefits. This ground seed promotes optimal digestion and a well functioning immune system. It also works wonders to support your skin through the antioxidant property of Vitamin E found in cumin.
Bone broth is an extremely healing ingredient. It supports gut health, since it is easy to digest which means less stress on your digestive system completely. It is also collagen rich which supports healthy skin, nails, hair, joints, bones, etc. in your body!
How to Make Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
Gather all of your ingredients and place in the Instant Pot. We like to set the liquid in first, then add the chicken. Then you can finally add all of the other ingredients in.
Set the timer to Manual (see directions below for specific timing) and make a Low Carb Margarita for yourself and friends while you wait for your Instant Pot to work its magic!
Once the timer has beeped, release the pressure and air from your Instant Pot by turning the quick release valve. Remove the chicken and shred before placing back in the soup and serving to friends and family!
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 teaspoons Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 28 oz Can diced tomatoes, *I used pureed with chunks since I'm not the biggest fan of tomato chunks
- 3 cups Chicken Broth, *Recommend Bone Broth, watch ingredients list for unnecessary preservatives and sugar!
- 7 oz Can diced green chiles
- Place all ingredients into the Instant Pot.
- If chicken is still frozen (like mine partially was), set the manual timer for 20 minutes.
- If chicken is thawed, set it for 12-14 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, quick release the pressure.
- Before serving, remove chicken from Instant Pot and chop or shred into bite size pieces.
- Put chicken back into Instant Pot, stir, and serve in bowls.
- Top with your preferred toppings.