With Summer rolling in, I was reminiscing about the days where I could eat my mom's chocolate zucchini bread. I remember chowing through loaves as if I would never have it again. When I switched over to eating more health consciously, I didn't think I could eat that bread anymore. However, my cravings for zucchini bread was too strong, but zucchini is not in season so I had to get creative with my Chocolate Avocado Bread!
Sometimes cravings become too strong to withstand, and that is okay. Just make sure that instead of completely giving in to the craving, to first try healthier options based around these same food ideas. You may be surprised by just how tasty these recipes can be!
Makes: 1 loaf
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Cost: $9.79
About the Ingredients in Chocolate Avocado Bread
Avocado is a great way to get in some healthy plant-based fats into your diet. Avocados are packed full of nutrients, such as Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Potassium. They tend to have more potassium than bananas!
Coconut Cream is the cream that is inside of real coconut milk. The easiest way to harvest the cream is to set a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. This allows the cream to harden and rise to the top of the can. I like to use this brand.
Mint Leaves help to promote proper digestion within the body. It also has one of the highest antioxidant capacities of any food. Typically I grow my own, but you can find it in your local health stores.
Take advantage of this offer of 25% off your first Thrive Order!
Chocolate Avocado Bread
To get this party started, blend up your avocados in a food processor. I like to use Hass avocados because they tend to not leave a bitter taste in your mouth.
Next, add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor, and blend together. Save the chocolate chips and walnuts for last, and just pulse those in. You will then pour the batter into your loaf pan.
Next, if you desire to have that extra little bit of chocolate chips, sprinkle some more on top of the bread. I try to use chocolate that has low sugar in it so I don't spike my blood sugar.
Place it in the oven, and pull it out once a toothpick can be pressed into the center and come out clean! Add some butter or coconut oil to a slice and enjoy this tasty Chocolate Avocado Bread. Yum!
Avocado Chocolate Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a medium loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the avocado to a food processor and pulse to break it down. I like to use hass avocados as the taste isn't as bitter as other avocados.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut cream, vanilla, honey, and eggs, and pulse until smooth.
- Mix in the almond flour, baking soda, cacao powder, salt, and mint leaves.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips in last, and just use pulse to quickly blend it into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with chocolate chips. Use the spatula to spread the batter into all corners of the pan.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan before using the edges of the parchment paper to remove. Store bread in an airtight container in the fridge!