Ever have a craving for spare ribs but then realize that it takes FOREVER to cook? I ran into this issue pretty often, until I tried to cook spare ribs in my Instant Pot. It only took 35 minutes in the Instant Pot before I had perfectly tender spare ribs! That's right, only 35 minutes. Just long enough to get a quick run in before dinner is ready.
Now, you may be asking what an Instant Pot is. It is an electric pressure cooker, and has saved me countless hours in the kitchen. Pretty much any food is cooked faster in the pressure cooker than normal. You can look more into it here!
Instant Pot Spare Ribs
Start by preparing all of your ingredients for the dry rub. Cover generously the spare ribs with the dry rub.
Next, layer the Instant Pot with the spare ribs. Cover the spare ribs with some kind of paleo bbq sauce (ideally low sugar). Cook for 35 minutes on high pressure.
Set oven to broil. Place spare ribs on a cookie sheet and broil for 5 minutes.
Pull it out and serve it with a side dish of choice, such as the Paleo Roasted Asparagus!
Instant Pot Spare Ribs
This is by far the best way to cook spare ribs without having to wait hours! The Instant Pot Spare Ribs remain tender and are fully cooked in 40 minutes.
- 2 lbs Pork Ribs Cut into sections
- 2 oz BBQ Sauce Paleo, Low Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1.5 tbsp Salt Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Season the ribs with the dry rub ingredients. Make sure to coat both sides.
- Stack the ribs in the Instant Pot (or pressure cooker).
- Pour the bbq sauce over the top of the ribs. This doesn't need to be perfect as the pressure cooker will help to spread around the bbq sauce.
- Add in the water. This will help to create the steam to seal the pressure cooker.
- Seal the Instant Pot and use the manual setting to set the time to 35 minutes on High Pressure.
- Preheat oven to the "broil" setting.
- After the timer goes off, release the pressure valve.
- Lay the ribs out on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and serve!
This recipe goes great with a side dish such as Paleo Roasted Asparagus.
Don't know what an Instant Pot is? It is a phenomenal way to cook healthy meals in a very quick way. Just look at this recipe, it typically takes hours to cook spare ribs, yet the Instant Pot can cook very tender ribs in 35 minutes! You can find an Instant Pot here.