New Discoveries of the Ocular Microbiome with Dr Harvey Fishman
It seems like every single day we have more advancements in the research done on the human microbiome. Word has spread about the gut microbiome, and the genitalia microbiome. But new development is coming out in areas of the body we least expect it.
Such as the Ocular Microbiome, better known as the bacteria of the eye.
Researchers have discovered an ecosystem of the microbiome within the eye. In these early stages of research, the eye is showing to have a much smaller population of bacteria than other areas of the body, such as the gut. This does not mean that the ocular microbiome isn't important. In fact, it could tell us more about how to protect the eye and how to prevent eye disease.
Why Should We Care About the Ocular Microbiome
For years ophthalmologists have been able to see correlations between the eyes and issues going on within the gut and rest of the body. The eyes provide a window into the general health of the body.
Previously, the eye was considered to be a sterile environment. Now the research is saying otherwise.
With the findings of bacteria on the eyes and in the eyelids, it demonstrates that the body has some sort of defense mechanism to keep out foreign pathogens. With researchers like Dr. Harvey Fishman looking at how the ocular microbiome fits into the bigger picture of the human body, we can learn a lot about the health of a person.
And if you don't think there is much bacteria and parasites that need to be kept off of the eyeball, then just contact Dr. Fishman to pluck one of your eyelashes to show you what may be living on it 😉.
In this week's episode, Dr. Harvey Fishman and I discuss:
»The different projects he has worked on such as artificial retinal prosthesis
»What has been discovered with the ocular microbiome
»Can systemic antibiotics impact the health of the microbiome of the eye
»What foods and nutrients can support the health of the eyes
Save 25% off your first order with Thrive Market HERE!
Enjoy natural energy from Ayurvedic Herbs with HANAH HERE!
Download Our App To Access All Our Free Content!
- [4:15] What got you interested in the world of optics and ocular health
- [6:00] Can you tell us about your artificial retina prosthesis project that you worked on
- [8:00] When you do these procedures like retina prosthetics, do you do the same procedure in both eyes, or just one
- [8:45] What is the ocular microbiome and what do we know about it so far
- [12:30] Even though the overall population of the microbiome is less in the eye than the gut, are ratios similar
- [13:15] Is the microbiome of the eye found externally, or is it internal as well
- [15:00] Does taking an internal antibiotic impact the external colonies of the ocular microbiome
- [16:30] What issues of the eyes can be directly correlated to what is going on at the gut
- [21:30] Are there specific symptoms that you have seen that can correlate to different issues with the ocular microbiome
- [26:15] What happens to the microbiome of the eye when people use makeup and fake eyelashes
- [31:00] Dr. Harvey will pluck an eyelash and show patients the parasites that are stuck within the eyelashes
- [33:30] Can you repopulate the microbiome of the eye using a probiotic drop of some sort
- [36:00] What are your favorite foods to support eye health
- [39:00] If you have a morning routine to take care of your eye health, what is it
Learn More About Dr. Harvey Fishman
Social Media: Twitter